Occassional thoughts about orienteering
Thursday, June 01, 2006
Snakes!I nearly stepped on this little copperhead while I was running tonight.
I Googled copperhead and found:
Copperheads are venomous, pit vipers. Copperheads account for more cases of venomous snake bite than any of our other species. Fortunately, their venom is the least toxic of our species. Bites from Copperheads are very seldom fatal; however, a bite may still produce serious consequences.
A Copperhead snake bite needs medical attention, is extremely painful, and may cause extensive scaring and loss of use. Many people are bitten while trying to kill or handle the snake. Don't take chances -- avoid these snakes.
"Copperhead bites are typically not fatal," says Dr. Peter Bromley, N. C. Cooperative Extension Specialist in Zoology. Small animals, like small dogs, may receive a fatal bite from a copperhead. The venom causes local tissue destruction and secondary infection often sets in. If you or your pet are bitten by any snake that you suspect is venomous, get medial attention immediately.
I wouldn't say I'm afraid of snakes. But, I'll admit that for the next 10 or 15 minutes of running I was keeping my eyes on the trail. Which may be why I spotted this little guy.
posted by Michael | 7:42 PM
Comments: Post a Comment