Occassional thoughts about orienteering
Saturday, October 18, 2003
Time to start thinking about next weekendNext weekend I'm going to the A-meet in Connecticut. It is time to start thinking about the race.
I've never run in Connecticut before, but I took a look at the map. My first reactions:
1. Those are big hills. Going up or down them will be tough.
2. Finding a control along the side of a hill could be tricky (especially if it requires you to drop a few lines and find a control tucked on the back side of a boulder or low cliff).
3. It looks like the main technique will be to keep fairly good contact and have a good sense of what is in and around the control circle.
4. I don't expect to see complex route choice problems, but there may be some legs that offer the chance to take a route that saves climb.
5. How will the visibility be? Relatively good visibility (as at West Point) would make the orienteering a lot easier. posted by Michael | 8:58 PM
Comments: Post a Comment